chI-RU JOU, partner
Chi-Ru steers individuals and businesses in the financial services industry through their thorniest disputes involving securities or the capital markets. She has represented investment banks and private equity firms in lawsuits involving a variety of structured financial products. In addition, she is experienced with handling the internal conflicts of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies. She is an active member of the legal peer advisory group in 100 Women in Finance, as well as a member of Women’s Investment Management Forum and Harvard Alumni Entrepreneurs.
Representative matters include:
- Representing a major investment bank in internal investigations of its auction rate securities and mortgage-backed securities practices;
- Defending a manufacturer of infrared cameras and marine navigational equipment in several patent infringement lawsuits, obtaining favorable settlements;
- Representing a cable company in a contract dispute with one of its biggest customers, prevailing in opposition to the motion to dismiss and obtaining a favorable settlement afterwards;
- Defending a private equity firm against preferential and fraudulent transfer claims in federal district court and obtaining a dismissal of all claims;
- Defending a private equity firm in a securities fraud multi-district litigation involving over a hundred parties and obtaining dismissal of a customer breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit as well as a favorable settlement of a securities class action;
- Defending a major insurance company in a securities class action alleging insurance and reinsurance accounting fraud and obtaining a favorable settlement.
Prior to joining Emergent, Chi-Ru was employed at several prominent law firms including Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. She has broad experience litigating a variety of general commercial cases, cross-border disputes as well as intellectual property matters such as patent infringement. In addition, she has served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Alan E. Norris of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. She has published articles in the New York Law Journal, Bloomberg Law Reports, Virginia Journal of Law & Technology and Virginia Sports & Entertainment Law Journal.
Chi-Ru is a graduate of Columbia Law School, where she graduated with highest honors as a James Kent Scholar. She also holds an A.B. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa in Philosophy from Harvard University, an M.A. cum laude in Music Theory from Yale University, and a D.M.A. cum laude in Piano Performance from the Juilliard School. Ms. Jou is admitted in the state of New York, the Southern District of New York, and the Second Circuit. See more on Super Lawyers or LinkedIn, or email her at email@example.com.