JOSHUA PAULSON, OF COUNSEL
Joshua is an experienced federal criminal defense attorney who primarily serves clients threatened with a loss of their liberty. He has represented hundreds of individuals in federal court, in matters ranging from white collar fraud to international terrorism. He has won top-charge acquittals at trial, and when acquittals or non-prosecution agreements are not viable Joshua’s vigorous and comprehensive advocacy frequently results in his clients receiving favorable plea bargains or substantial downward variances below the federal sentencing guidelines.
Recent representative matters include:
- Co-counsel representation and sentencing advocacy for a former Guatemalan Soccer Federation executive charged charged with racketeering, money laundering, and fraud in the EDNY FIFA case
- Sentencing advocacy on behalf of a former CrossFit NYC founder who pleaded guilty to fraud
- Representation of a sex-trafficking victim charged with federal contempt (resulting in no charges and a non-prosecution agreement)
- Co-counsel representation of alleged Pakistani drug kingpin
- Removal defense on behalf of a battered Colombian spouse of a U.S. citizen (resulting in work authorization and deferred status)
- Sentencing advocacy and immigration removal defense for Korean national charged with money laundering
- Supreme Court amicus brief on behalf of the National Police Accountability Project in a police brutality case
In addition to working with Emergent, Joshua maintains a private practice in the Southern District of New York and previously served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in the Eastern District of Virginia. Joshua traditionally dedicates a significant portion of his time to pro bono causes related to immigration and civil rights, and has lectured or taught CLEs on racial justice, criminal procedure, and the intersection between immigration and criminal law.
Joshua received his J.D. from Columbia University, where he was a Lowenstein Public Interest Fellow, a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, a Charles Evans Hughes Fellow, and recipient of a Certificate in International and Comparative Law. He earned his Master of Arts degree from Stanford University, which he attended on a Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship; and his B.A. from Carleton College, where he received numerous honors including Magna Cum Laude, a Certificate of Advanced Study in Spanish Language and Literatures, and “Distinction” in the Department of Latin American Studies.
A multi-year honoree of Super Lawyers, Joshua is admitted to practice before federal and state courts in California, New York, and Virginia. He has traveled the world and is fluent in Spanish. See more on LinkedIn, or email him at email@example.com.