PETER ROldan, Partner
Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
Peter helps policyholders maximize their insurance coverage. He is an experienced insurance law attorney and is adept at representing and advising clients regarding their insurance policies and claims.
Businesses and property owners count on their insurance policies to provide protection in the event of a catastrophic property loss or when facing a lawsuit and the consequences of a wrongful denial of coverage can be devastating. Peter has a proven track record of securing policy benefits for his clients and uses his expertise to help them better understand the nuances and scope of their insurance programs:
- Represented art company in suit against commercial liability insurer regarding coverage for copyright infringement claims
- Represented EdTech company in suit against D&O/Management liability insurer regarding coverage for qui tam claims
- Obtained coverage under a personal umbrella liability policy for homeowner facing six-figure claim for water damage to hotel
- Secured benefit payments for beneficiary under a disputed life insurance policy
- Advised biotech company regarding availability of liability insurance coverage in connection with restructuring of company management
- Advised restaurant group regarding insurance coverage for employment law claims
- Advised construction company regarding coverage under commercial liability and inland marine policies
Prior to joining Emergent, Peter spent time at several well-regarded insurance law firms, counseling and defending insurance companies in complex coverage and bad faith disputes, and developing the expertise needed to understand sophisticated insurance law issues and litigate effectively on behalf of policyholders. He began his legal career in the New York City office of leading firm Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Peter counsels businesses on data privacy and cyber liability issues. He holds the Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) credential from the International Association of Privacy Professionals. Peter advises companies regarding compliance with federal and state privacy laws, and his combination of insurance and privacy law expertise makes him particularly well-qualified to handle matters involving potential liability for data breaches or the mishandling of sensitive information.
Blockchain and Digital Currency
Peter leads Emergent’s Blockchain and Digital Currency practice, which draws on the firm’s expertise in corporate and securities laws, regulatory compliance, FinTech, intellectual property, privacy law, and cybersecurity. In addition to litigating matters involving blockchain and digital currency issues and providing advice to companies that deal with digital currency, Peter is particularly interested in the use of blockchain technology within the legal services and insurance industries.
Peter completed his J.D. at Columbia University and received a B.A. cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania, where he majored in History. He is admitted to practice law in California and New York. Peter currently serves as the Vice-President of the Board of Directors for Good Shepherd Gracenter of San Francisco, a non-profit licensed recovery residence that helps women without resources break free from alcohol and drug addiction. See more on LinkedIn or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.